Provocative opinions aired on the clothes line of life.

Tuesday 4 January 2011

My Quest For the Sunday Boyfriend

 God breathes life into a single girls sensibility 

What started off as a joke between a single friend and I over the Christmas period, has fast become my New Year's Resolution of sorts (as I never officially make any) for 2011.

After a debaucherous festive night out on the town, we found ourselves the following morning in the living room having a laptop orgywhile devouring nutritiously processed meat and raucously laughing at our escapades. (A standard cliché which often proves to be very therapeutic when attempting to lift hungover spirits).

We mused over the failings of the men who we'd encountered the previous night, along with the audacity of those who we had casually slept with a handful of times proposing the idea of a threesome and the proclamation of having "night terrors" as a suitable excuse for rejecting the sexual proposition of a one-night stand. A typical exchange of mutual disappointments with our current flings and what equally unsatisfying and disillusioning experiences they can be.

But as single girls our conversation isn't just limited to our latent promiscuity and cackling over men's shortcomings in the bedroom or in life (as is often the case with the ones we tend to encounter). No, contrary to popular belief, we do in fact yearn for the intimacy and security of a romantic relationship with a special man whom we can share our inner-most desires and dreams with. But only on a Sunday. 


Or more accurately: on the Sabbath.

 

Generally the Sabbath day is considered a weekly day of rest and worship within the Abrahamic religions and other practices. With it typically being Sunday for most Christians, Saturday for Jews and Friday for Muslims. But the day itself which you consider to be the Sabbath is inconsequential as there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to differing beliefs. After all religion is a civil liberty. However our Western society has become increasingly secular and so our religious priorities have been replaced with that of the non-religious. And for most people a happy and fulfilling life now greatly outweighs the prospect of an eternally satisfying afterlife which we can't be sure exists at all. As the importance of an ecclesial being and its respective institution pales in comparison to the people who we choose to spend our lives with. 

So with that being said, I think it's safe to clarify that our relationships with people have become our top priority (along with good health and financial security). And in terms of the Sabbath in it's most limited definition: God is remembered weekly but isn't directly referred to in all other aspects of daily life. And as a non-practising Catholic, I don't choose to dedicate my Sunday to the remembrance of the resurrection but I would be prepared to utilise this weekly observance in terms of a relationship. 

Now I'm not suggesting that another person should become our sole fixation of worship - far from it. More the emotional intimacy of a union with another person would get my full attention for just one day and the rest of the week I could resume my normal life without having to worry about that other persons needs.

Hence my New Year's resolution: To find someone who is on the same page as me i.e. Someone who is willing to put just as much effort into a relationship as I am and expect the same amount out of it.

 
Mutual interest be with you 

Of course herein lies a problem. While I don't want to clearly define the relationship, I also don't want to leave it open to interpretation and have it become just a casual fling. I don't want to merely have sex with someone every Sunday. What I'm looking for also goes far beyond the realms of a conventional 'friendship with benefits'. (I don't want to ruin my relationship with someone I already consider to be a friend).

I want someone where there is a mutual attraction between us. We'd have stimulating conversations, a similar sense of humour and we'd enjoy spending time together which wasn't just physical. A boyfriend. But one whom I would have absolutely no contact with during the course of a six day period via any medium (phone, text, email, tweet, instant messaging or carrier pigeon) and would routinely spend a couple of hours or a whole day with on a weekly basis.

Imagine the amount of stress that would be relieved from the relationship? Where it wasn't mandatory to check in with each other every day and feel obligated to do things for one another which we didn't want to do. Gone would be the feelings of guilt and the excess baggage of another persons life. Instead, you could just eliminate the normal conventions of a relationship and spend time exclusively with each other for a couple of hours on a given day. And then part ways for the rest of the week, free to live as independently and selfishly as you had been doing without having to act like one half of a whole.

And the more I thought about it, the more realistic an expectation it became. I wonder how many people are actually in this type of relationship without even realising it? At least I'm actually acknowledging what I want: a relationship without the expectation of commitment. And not being strung along in the pretense that it's more than what it actually is. I want the attention and happy feelings that can sometimes only be achieved by having a special guy in your life. But I don't have the time or inclination to fully make room for him in it. 

 
Haziness can be clarifying

I suppose this sounds as though I'm against relationships, when really what all of this stems from is the fact that a never ending string of casual flings can be so intensely disappointing. I find that the guy is spending so much time trying to convey that he doesn't see me as a potential girlfriend that the fun just gets sucked right out of it. 

Case in point: A few months ago I was sleeping with someone on a regular basis, where we were always drunk and it was arranged on a completely spontaneous basis. I didn't mind this at all. It suited what I wanted from the relationship. But it got to the stage where we would be having sex and he wouldn't even look at me during, much less kiss me.  

That's not the least bit satisfying. I enjoy having sex with someone for the emotional connection as well as the physical one. And while detaching yourself from certain emotions is one thing, feeling like a giant hand is quite another. Hey buddy, did you know that connecting with someone in the moment is about more than just penetration? And just because a person maintains eye contact with someone while they're having sex does not mean they're envisioning the pair of you as little edible people adorning the top of a wedding cake? 


Because as he failed to ascertain, I actually enjoy the freedom which my single life affords me and wouldn't want to give it up. But on a Sunday, I'm usually feeling a little depressed, insecure, emotional and generally in want of affection. And having a man available who falls neatly between the confines of casual and who I want to spend the rest of my life with is a very appealing prospect indeed. 
  
I'm not looking for Mr. Right, I want Mr. 'In between'. Because he knows how to be more than casual. In that he'll take you to places other than the bedroom. He'll have intellectually stimulating conversation and the ability to make you laugh, as well as enjoying your humour too. He's assertive and in control of situations, particularly between the sheets - there's no room for faking it there. 

But he also knows how to not let it stray into the realms of seriousness. He won't pester you to meet his friends or family, similarly he won't be interested in yours either. The relationship would be just about the two of you, not the other people who become inextricably linked to your life. There won't be a hint of him on any of your social networks because that would complicate matters and begin the never-ending game of who's that? He wouldn't accost you with a barrage of phone calls or text messages on a night out with the girls and you wouldn't bother him with his dalliances with the boys, because the bottom line is you don't have to care if he's with someone else. As long as you get to spend  a few blissful hours together on a Sunday nothing else is of consequence.

It's a mutually satisfying relationship, lying partway between a casual fling and conventional exclusivity. Perfect.

Surely I'm not the only one on a quest for a boyfriend who I needn't concern myself with Monday through Saturday?


15 comments:

  1. You already know where to look, if that is truly what you seek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been one to read blogs in the past, but seeing as your twitter name caught my eye I thought I'd have a read to see what it's all about. Surprisingly I quite enjoyed it and after years of looking for something similar I could be easily fooled into thinking I had written this myself.
    ps. Good choice of artwork (Michaelangelo).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thank you :) I'm thrilled a blogging skeptic so to speak enjoyed my ramblings!

    And yes, I felt the symbolism of God reaching out to touch Adam was very apt for this subject, haha.

    Are you following me on Twitter?

    Also, I don't mean to be rude to the person above, but that's a truly ominous message as I have no clue as to who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beauty of anonymity. I'm sure you can work it out, if you want to, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear what you're saying on the Sunday thing! Personally I'd like a boyfriend full-stop, for all days of the week, but for some reason I really really feel my singledom on Sundays! I don't know what it is...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep really identify with this, and what you wrote about flings.

    In my experience the problem with Sunday relationships is that even if both parties want the same thing to begin with, sooner or later one or other person wants things to progress - or at least their insecurity gets the better of them and makes them *think* they need things to progress.

    Also while a lot of people might think they'd be happy with this sort of arrangement, after a while their ego can feel a bit bruised if the other person doesn't want things to get more serious. Makes little sense, but that's people for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Sunday Boyfriend, an interesting concept, but, one that doesn't leave a lot of room in your life for more than one guy really.

    Although, if the plan is to keep the rest of mankind for the weekdays/weekend and just have Sunday as the "TBS" Day, that could work well.

    ...TBS, sounds contaigious...

    Good luck with your resolution!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I'm the "skeptic" who left the second comment, more commonly known as Dan Rees but didn't know how to put my name on my comment. Yes I am following you on Twitter, you like a winge dont you! Ha ha! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The arrangement you speak of reminds me an awful lot of something I had with a girl, back in winter 2009-10. We would go out during the week (being students!) with our respective groups of friends and only meet up on weekends.

    It was a pretty low-key thing - we'd spend an evening at the other's house or go to the cinema, but there was never any pressure with it. Some weeks we would both be too busy and so it didn't happen, but it didn't seem to matter.

    It all carried on like clockwork for about 4 months, until she turned round halfway through the Hollyoaks omnibus (yes, it was really that casual, and yes, I remember that's what was on), looked up at me and mumbled, "I love you," the same way she had a hundred times before. "I love you too," I said, which was also normal.

    But then she sat up a bit, and I knew what was coming. "No, I mean I properly love you." And that's what broke it all. Our concepts of love were subtly different, despite the fact we'd seemingly been on the same page for several months. She wanted something I couldn't offer her at that time.

    It wasn't exclusivity. I wasn't sleeping with dozens of other girls on weekdays (over the 4 months there were only 3 other girls) and I offered to stop.

    It wasn't more regular contact. Again, I asked her about it and she said that was not the issue.

    I'm not even sure she was after a 'proper' relationship with me, in retrospect. I think she just expected that I'd get bored of the arrangement before she did, and that hurt her pride a little bit. It seems like such a small thing, and maybe she would tell the story differently, but conversations since have supported my little theory.

    And the legacy of our "Sunday" relationship? On the whole, it was positive for me (I'd rather not comment for the girl involved). It was fun, boosted my ego, we got to know each other really well and still chat or meet up whenever she's in town. And we've never crossed back over the line, no matter how drunk we've both been, which suggests it finished at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful - I don't know what it is about Sundays, but I just feel it's a couples day and as a result rarely leave my house!

    Dan - As I as writing the post, the points you made there were constantly at the back of my mind. I totally agree and I don't think it would be at all possible really. It's just an ideal to aspire to I guess :)

    Marshall - I have plenty of room for more than one guy! Monday-Saturday would be for the casual nothings and Sunday would be for my guy who isn't nothing but isn't quite something either! Ha.

    Anonymous - Thank you for that input, I enjoyed the insight. I think I have a slight inkling as to you are. But I won't press the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It wouldn't be too much of a surprise if you were right - I have a recognisable writing technique if you're the kind to notice that sort of thing. Feel free to press away elsewhere *ahem* Twitter *ahem* if you feel you're on the right track.

    To be honest, the main reason I'm anon on these comments is in case the girl in question reads your blog too!

    Mind you, if that's the case, I may have been a little bit too specific to be able to tell her she's adding 2 and 2 for 5 if she asks me about it next time we talk...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it is possible, it's just that there are few people with whom it could continue indefinitely. I think there are blokes out there who could cope with it long-term, but whether you fancy them is another matter - so the suitable candidates are a sub-set of a sub-set of a sub-set ... i.e., there aren't many of them, so they're difficult to find.

    If the man does want it to get more serious, I suppose it's a choice of either following that path to see where it leads, or ditching him and starting a Sunday relationship with someone new?

    All of this ties in with another thought I've been having recently: is it better to be in the right situation with the not-quite-right person, or with your ideal person in a situation that's less than ideal? And which do you give priority to when you meet someone: if you fancy them, do you see where it goes, risking finding out later than they want something much more or less serious than you do? Or do you only look for people who want a similar sort of set-up, meaning that you might miss out on someone you really get on with?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amen Sister, AMEN!
    You are not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You write very well and I enjoyed reading this but I have to disagree with you. Good relationships don't feel like hard work and you WANT to do things for each other without feeling obliged. On those occasions where you DON'T want to see each other or you DON'T feel like doing something nice, you can say that without fear that you're being 'bad' or doing something wrong.

    I can't really criticise because I was 27 before I realised that you can have relationships which are fun AND emotionally fulfilling. Prior to that it was a case of great-sex-but-fuck-off-now-because-you're-annoying or i-love-you-but-i-never-get-to-hang-out-with-my-friends-because-you're-so-needy.

    I just think that if you're in a relationship where you feel like you can't basically live your life the way you would if you were single (casual sex aside, naturally) then you're probably doing it wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  15. To be honest, I think it's the post-alcohol feeling on a Sunday that makes me want to be minded and cuddled by a Sunday boyfriend. I'm all for that too. Even every second sunday would do! And I quote my Ex "The problem with you is that you just want a weekend boyfriend ...." - guess he was spot on with that one!

    ReplyDelete